The Institute for Justice, the national law firm for liberty, seeks a Junior Accountant at its headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, to support its Finance team.
The Junior Accountant reports directly to the Accounting Senior Manager and assists in the day-to-day accounting functions of the finance department including cash receipts, disbursements, employee expense reports and reporting.
- Excellent attention to detail and commitment to ensure accurate work.
- Strong ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong communication skills to ensure effective interactions with staff and vendors.
- Process accounts payable timely, and accurately using proper accounting principles and in compliance with financial policies and tax regulations.
- Process staff expense reports for reimbursement and review compliance with travel and reimbursement policies.
- Maintain updated vendor records including contracts, tax forms, and payment information.
- Assist the Accounting Senior Manager with weekly cash disbursements and distributing payments.
- Process daily cash receipts for donations via checks, cash or on-line and work closely with Development department to ensure timely and accurate accounting of contributions.
- Perform other tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration; candidates in their final semesters of a program will also be considered
- 1-2 years of relevant accounting experience.
- Experience with accounting software and proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, particularly excel.
- Hybrid work schedule
- Flexible work hours with our core business hours of 10am and 4pm
- Casual dress code
- In-house HHs and other team bonding activities
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance (IJ covers 100% of individual premiums)
- Free Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, and Life insurance plans
- HSA employer contributions
- 401(k) with employer matches
- Generous PTO, 12 paid holidays, and a personal mental health day to be taken at any time
Please submit a resume and a cover letter on why you are interested in working at IJ and detailing how your experience will ensure success in this position.
No phone calls, please.
IJ is an equal opportunity employer.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At IJ we value a diverse workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.