Join the Institute for Justice, a public interest law firm on the front lines fighting to end widespread abuses of government power and to secure the rights of all Americans, and play a critical role in our fundraising efforts.
The Membership Manager is responsible for soliciting and cultivating IJ’s sub-$1000 donor base, with an emphasis on maintaining and growing support to IJ from all donors giving through our acquisition and housefile programs. He/she will constantly seek ways to do things better and create exceptional experiences for IJ donors in order to increase their connection to, and investment in, IJ’s important work defending everyday people’s freedom.
The position is ideal for a detail-oriented, data-savvy professional who is excited to come into a well-developed housefile program and find ways to sustain past success while implementing new and better ways to increase support from IJ’s existing donor base and new donors.
This is a full-time role reporting to IJ’s Director of Individual Giving and based in IJ’s Arlington, VA office.
- Manage IJ’s direct mail acquisition and housefile program including setting the schedule and timelines for each mailing, optimizing segmentation/ask amounts, and bidding out jobs to vendors (print, productions, mailing)
- Supervise IJ’s Development Assistant and Membership Assistant, including conducting regular check-in meetings, helping set goals and strategy, reviewing work products, and providing general guidance
- Oversee IJ’s donor welcome series, maintaining IJ brand standards and looking for ways to improve the donor experience with a keen eye on increasing the conversion of newly acquired donors
- Generate and optimize data for IJ’s flagship magazine, Liberty & Law, and IJ’s annual holiday card mailing
- Establish key performance indicators, track and report on results, and adjust as needed to ensure continual improvement within the membership programs
- Set and stay within agreed upon budgets for all programs
- Draft summaries for department planning meetings and for reports to IJ’s board of directors
- 4-8 years of experience in communications or mass marketing programs, direct mail preferred but not required
- 4+ years of personnel/program management experience
- An obsessive desire to win; you are frustrated with complacency
- Proven ability to manage, assess and synthesize large amounts of data; to draw actionable conclusions; and to make decisions and implement strategies based on those conclusions
- Strong attention to detail
- The ability to prioritize and juggle multiple projects and tasks
- Proficiency with Salesforce, or experience with another CRM/donor database product
- Command of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams)
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills and ability to work collaboratively with a team to achieve shared goals
- Commitment to promoting individual liberty and challenging government abuse
- Hybrid work schedule
- Flexible work hours with our core business hours of 10am and 4pm
- Work from home equipment reimbursement
- Casual dress code
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance (IJ covers 100% of individual premiums)
- Free Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, and Life insurance plans
- HSA employer contributions
- 401(k) with employer matches
- Generous PTO including a paid personal day and 12 paid holidays
To apply, please submit a resume, writing sample, and a cover letter detailing how your experience will ensure success in this position.
No phone calls, please.
IJ is an equal opportunity employer.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At IJ we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.