Development Research Assistant
Join the Institute for Justice, a public interest law firm on the front lines fighting to end widespread abuses of government power and to secure the rights of all Americans, and play a critical role in our fundraising efforts.
In this position, you will supply frontline fundraisers with the information and resources they need to secure new and increased gifts from a broad base of prospects and donors. Through internet and subscription data base searches, collect and analyze data to prepare written reports on individual, foundation, and corporate donors and prospects for review by Development team members and the organization’s president.
The ideal candidate will excel at working independently and be able to effectively manage multiple projects, often on tight deadlines. This position is best suited for a proactive individual with a curiosity to learn and the drive to take ownership of an evolving role within the team.
- Research prospective and existing donors to identify opportunities for new and increased support.
- Produce reports analyzing wealth, capacity, and donor affinity using advanced search engines as well as general internet searches, including reviewing social media and real estate records.
- Prepare frontline fundraisers for donor and prospect meetings by providing comprehensive profiles encompassing their history with IJ, their biographical background, and their charitable interests.
- Support monthly prospect discussions and help craft strategies for cultivation.
- Summarize comprehensive research into digestible bios for periodic donor events, including an upcoming donor retreat.
- Facilitate completion of miscellaneous and one-off research requests from immediate team members and, occasionally, from across the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree from a communications or research-heavy field or 0-2 years working in a comparable professional role
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Time management and organizational skills, including the ability to independently manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Ability to analyze disparate data points, draw actionable conclusions, and synthesize into a digestible report
- Ability to manage confidential information with discretion
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, etc.)
- Commitment to promoting constitutional rights and challenging government abuse
- Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM systems
- Experience with LexisNexis for Development Professionals, iWave, WealthEngine, or other advanced search engines
- Hybrid work schedule
- Flexible work hours with our core business hours of 10am and 4pm
- Work from home equipment reimbursement
- Casual dress code
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance (IJ covers 100% of individual premiums)
- Free Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, and Life insurance plans
- HSA employer contributions
- 401(k) with employer matches
- Generous PTO including a paid personal day and 12 paid holidays
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter detailing how your experience will ensure success in this position.
No phone calls, please.
IJ is an equal opportunity employer.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At IJ we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.